I work with buyers and have the privilege of helping a few couples purchase their first home. As a real estate professional, it's really important to prepare your clients of the process in purchasing a home. These are just a few steps to prepare you to ensure an easy and smooth experience buying your first home.
1. SAVE, SAVE, SAVE.... What is the price of a home you want to purchase? That's the first question. From that starting point, you want to save your money for a down payment and other expenses during the home buying process. There are first time buyer loans, VA loans, FHA and others with minimum down, there are conventional loans which require a specific percentage of the loan for a down payment. Which ever route you choose to go, the first thing to do is, save your money.
2. Talk to a lender. We have lenders we recommend, if you need to find one, please feel free to contact me. Having a lender is a very important step in the home buying process. Your lender will look into your credit to find your credit score, talk over the details of what you qualify for and to look at different loans to see what is best for you. You also have the option to interview lenders, if you don't feel comfortable with the lender, ask for referrals and find one who meets your needs. The same goes for a realtor, ask for referrals and talk to several until you find the perfect fit for you.
3. Know there are going to be cost involved with purchasing a home, not just a down payment, but also other costs for, appraisals, pest inspections, roof inspections, home inspections, pool inspection, etc. There are a lot of fee's included, which your lender and realtor will go over with you, so again, save before and during the buying process.
4. Be realistic and know exactly how much you feel comfortable with as a house payment. I had clients who the lender said they qualified for "X" amount of dollars, but they didn't want their payments to be more than a certain amount. So know your numbers.
5. It's easy to fall in love with a home that has been updated, however, most homes in certain price ranges are not updated. Understand, this may not be your forever home, so imagine the house in a few years. You can update it along the way. My husband and I bought a house and I knew going in, we'd have to update it. Making it your own, is the fun part of home ownership.
These are just a few things to consider when buying your first home. I hope they helped and happy house hunting!
Author:Julie Cosgrove BRE #00828743 Phone: 209-298-0252 Dated: May 8th 2015 Views: 316 About Julie: Julie was born and raised in Stockton CA, she married her high school sweetheart George and has 2 bo...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
About Julie Cosgrove Real Estate Professionals at Keller Williams Realty
California REALTOR® Julie Cosgrove is a driven individual that not only pushes herself to achieve excellence but will make it her priority to transform her client’s dream home into a reality. She and her team believe in Exceeding Expectations of their clients
Julie and her team’s positive approach and no nonsense attitude will help guide their client’s through their transaction. They will outline the buying and selling process, stay in close contact and constantly affirm that they have their clients best interest at heart. She and her team strive for trust, coupled with support, so her clients can enjoy a smooth transaction.
Recently Julie started her sister company, One Simple SOLUTION. As Julie’s real estate business grew, she saw a need to help seniors downsize or transition into senior-centered living. The desire of this company is to make our Senior Citizens and families feel as calm and stress free as possible during their transition from one home to the next. One Simple Solutions works hand in hand with each realtor to make sure that their clients is completely taken care of from the packing stages to the complete move to their new location. No stone is left unturned. We offer organization, helpful tips and more to make this move as uncomplicated as possible.
It's that time of year, fall is in the air. Time to change your clocks
"I would be extremely happy to highly recommend Julie Cosgrove and her wonderful staff at Keller and Williams to ANYONE who was looking for assistance with either buying or selling a home, especially for help - with the now popular - short selling of a home; as was the case for our family. Julie Cosgrove is a Tiger. She and her staff were unrelenting when it came to dealing with the banks on our behalf. She rescinded the banks foreclosure attempts on three separate occasions and always kept our best interests at heart. Mrs. Cosgrove was a joy to work with. Always positive and highly motivated, this professional and her staff are well deserving of the highest recommendation in the City that can be given by anyone. There is NOWHERE ELSE that we would recommend anyone to go other than to see Julie Cosgrove over at Keller and Williams. This Woman is a rock-star, and despite the problems that we had with the banks, she never let them slow our short-sale down. She is awesome!"