As Professional real estate agents our team, The Julie Cosgrove Real Estate Professionals, takes pride in working with our seniors. We have specialized in being supportive for our mature adults and their families during difficult times. There may come a time when you as an adult child will have to make some difficult decisions for your aging parent. We have found over the years with those who have worked with their parents to make sure important documents and decisions are in order, go through this difficult process with a little more ease. You will find an article here from “A Place for Mom” it shares all the essential documentation you may need to better assist your parent and those you chose to hire to help work with you and your family.
Essential Document Locator Checklist
Last updated: March 25, 2013
Adult children of aging parents are often caught without the essential documents their parents need in an emergency situation.
Knowing where the official records are located as well as having copies of these important financial, legal, and health documents can save you thousands of dollars and countless hours of time spent tracking down records. Download a printable copy of this checklist.
PHOTOCOPY ESSENTIAL DOCUMENTS
· Copy of Birth Certificate
· Copy of Driver's License
· Copy of Social Security Card
· Copy of Medicare / Medicaid / Insurance Coverage Card
· Copy of Organ Donor Card
· Copy of Marriage Certificate
· Copy of Credit Cards
· Copy of Mortgage Records
· Copy of Military Records
· Copy of Legal Power of Attorney, Healthcare Proxy, Living Will, Advance Directives
CREATE A LIST OF WHERE TO FIND ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS
· Location of safe-deposit box and key with a list of the contents and names of anyone who has access to it.
· Location of any letter of instruction listing personal property not disposed of by will and wishes for distribution.
· Location of receipts and appraisals for valuables.
· Location of trust, banking, insurance policies.
· Location of stocks, bonds, real estate, and other investments.
· Location of living will, medical directive, or durable power of attorney.
· Location of personal loans owed with substantiating documentation.
· Location of birth certificate, social security card, marriage and divorce certificates, education and military records.
· Location of tax returns and gift or estate tax returns filed during the period.
CREATE A LIST OF IMPORTANT CONTACTS AND ACCOUNTS
· Details of desired funeral arrangements; location of burial plot, if any, and deed to it. Name and address of clergy, if appropriate.
· Name, addresses, and telephone numbers of attorney, financial planner, tax advisor, broker, and/or anyone else with knowledge of or control over trusts, wills and finances.
· Complete list of beneficiaries with current addresses and telephone numbers.
· List of bank accounts, including name, address, and telephone number of each financial institution, account numbers, location of passbooks, checkbooks, certificates of deposits.
· List insurance information including health, life, auto, homeowner and renter policies; any employee benefit or pension plans. Name, address and telephone number of each insurance company and agent, policy numbers, and locations.
· List of active credit accounts such as mortgage, banks, oil companies, department stores, including name and address of each company, account number, and type.
Author:Julie Cosgrove BRE #00828743 Phone: 209-298-0252 Dated: April 22nd 2015 Views: 778 About Julie: Julie was born and raised in Stockton CA, she married her high school sweetheart George and has 2 bo...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
About Julie Cosgrove Real Estate Professionals at Keller Williams Realty
California REALTOR® Julie Cosgrove is a driven individual that not only pushes herself to achieve excellence but will make it her priority to transform her client’s dream home into a reality. She and her team believe in Exceeding Expectations of their clients
Julie and her team’s positive approach and no nonsense attitude will help guide their client’s through their transaction. They will outline the buying and selling process, stay in close contact and constantly affirm that they have their clients best interest at heart. She and her team strive for trust, coupled with support, so her clients can enjoy a smooth transaction.
Recently Julie started her sister company, One Simple SOLUTION. As Julie’s real estate business grew, she saw a need to help seniors downsize or transition into senior-centered living. The desire of this company is to make our Senior Citizens and families feel as calm and stress free as possible during their transition from one home to the next. One Simple Solutions works hand in hand with each realtor to make sure that their clients is completely taken care of from the packing stages to the complete move to their new location. No stone is left unturned. We offer organization, helpful tips and more to make this move as uncomplicated as possible.
It's that time of year, fall is in the air. Time to change your clocks
"We have bought and sold homes with Julie, one of which was a short sale. She has always been very professional and accommodating to our needs, whether is be coming out on the weekends or getting loan documentation to us at 9pm on a weekday. My wife and I currently live in our dream home, we would recommend Julie to any of our friends and/or family."